. Vegetable and Chicken Medley Soup Seriously Soupy

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Vegetable and Chicken Medley Soup

For the past couple of days I have been really sick, which is no fun as we all know. One of the best remedies for a cold is soup! I wanted to create a hearty soup and one that would make me feel good as well as provide me with a substantial amount of nutrients, so I decided on a vegetable/chicken creation. This variety was incredible and made 6 large bowls of soup, making it less than 2.00 per bowl. Dig in and slurp it up!

P.S. A vegetable/chicken medley soup is also called garbage soup since it can be changed and varied, depending on your preferences and dietary restrictions. Take out the chicken, if you are a vegetarian and add tofu, or switch up the potatoes for pasta. whatever you want to change you can! One of the best things about soup is the choice is yours.
 

Vegetable and Chicken Medley Soup 
Ingredients:
Organic vegetable broth (I used organic cause I happened to go into a health-food store. A chicken broth is fine, but a beef broth may not add the same flavors…
2-3 cups of water
2-3 red potatoes
Half a bag of mixed frozen veggies or veggie of your choice
Half a bag of chopped organic carrots
Organic chicken breasts cut up into cubes
Salt and Pepper (Taste to determine how much)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 clove of garlic chopped up
Half of a red onion chopped up
Rosemary (Fresh is better, but I used dried) 

Directions:
Pour broth and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a slight boil and add onions, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and bouillon. Add chicken to the pot. After around 20 minutes add carrots, potatoes. Mixed veggies can be added during the last 10-15 minutes, since they cook so quickly. salt and pepper to taste and devour! Approximate cooking time: 2 hours.

Side note: For this soup, I added raw spinach to the bottom of my bowl and poured the soup on top. Since the soup was super hot it essentially cooked the spinach. I also added a bit of cheese to the top. Again, soup variations are so easy and can be catered toward your palate.

Seriously Soupy Serena
PS. No pic on this one, but I will post for the next…Enjoy the soup and let me know about how your vegetable medley turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment