. Rainbow Soup Month: Roasted Red Pepper, Cucumber and Avocado Soup Seriously Soupy

Friday, May 13, 2011

Rainbow Soup Month: Roasted Red Pepper, Cucumber and Avocado Soup

Roasted Red Pepper, Cucumber and Avocado Soup - Seriously Soupy
I love this time of year when all of a sudden it is beautiful out and there is an abundance of colorful fruits and vegetables. For this month on Soupy, I am going to be waking up my winter palate and  featuring color-themed soup recipes every week in Rainbow Soup month. For the first installation, I started with the color red by using red peppers that were roasted with olive oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. To enhance the flavors a bit, I also added in a light mix of avocado and cucumber and various fresh herbs. As a simple semi-warm soup for the spring, the ingredients were blended together and topped with some cucumbers. I hope you enjoy this one and join me next week when I create an orange-based soup. Enjoy!





Roasted Red Pepper, Cucumber and Avocado Soup
Ingredients:
2 cups of water
2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut up
1 cucumber, cut up (I used the skins)
2 ripe avocados, de-pitted and quartered
drizzle of olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
bunch of basil - about 3-5 sprigs
bunch of thyme - about 3-5 sprigs
bunch of rosemary - about 3-5 sprigs
salt and pepper

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up the red pepper and place it in some aluminum foil. Drizzle it with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add some basil on top and cover it with aluminum foil. While the peppers are baking (about 20 minutes), add the water to a pot and let boil. Cut up the avocados and cucumber. Mash them together with the garlic and fresh herbs (basil, thyme, and rosemary). Add them to the pot and let cook on a low flame (about 10 minutes). Turn off the oven and add the red peppers to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Turn off the flame and mash the ingredients together using a hand blender. Top with some cucumbers and enjoy!

What red soups will you make this spring?

Seriously Soupy Serena


3 comments:

  1. I love making soup, my kids love it and make it sure that I always have it on lunch and dinner. I will definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moms_Love_Erecipe_com,

    That is great to hear! Soup is such a fantastic comfort food that works for all seasons. Happy to hear that your kids love it too.

    Feel free to share your recipes!

    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the flavors in this soup! It sounds so wholesome and delicious!

    ReplyDelete