. Soup Review: Sausage-and-Kale Soup by Martha Stewart Seriously Soupy

Friday, January 29, 2010

Soup Review: Sausage-and-Kale Soup by Martha Stewart


                      Martha Stewart's Sausage-and-Kale Soup                         

Seriously Soupy's Sausage-and-Kale Soup
                                                                

After this weeks lentil and apricot soup I had a heaping amount of leftover kale that I still wanted to make good use of. I discovered this sausage-and-kale soup from Martha Stewart's publication Everyday that would not only use the kale, but utilize other ingredients (onions, potatoes, red pepper flakes, olive oil) that I already had on hand. I loved how the recipe used a minimal amount of ingredients, as well as had a quick prep and cooking time that resulted in a hearty, yet spicy soup that was ready in less than an hour! While I was preparing it I thought it was odd that it did not require any salt or pepper (something I would never think twice about not adding), but the soup (and its combination of flavors) worked really well on its own, which didn't require any extra condiments. While enjoying this soup, I discovered (once again) that some simple ideas (making the soup a bit spicy with sausage and kale) can create a different taste combination by simply using ingredients in a new way. This nice kick, along with some simple ingredients can also easily be modified if you don't like sausage by adding another type of meat or made vegetarian by adding seitan, tofu, beans, or pasta, etc. Check out this spicy Martha creation and let me know what you think:

Sausage-and-Kale Soup
Recipe by Martha Stewart from Everyday

Try serving this hearty soup as the main course of a light meal.
Prep:
15 minutes
Total: 50 minutes
 


  Soup cooking with broth, potatoes, onions
Ingredients
Serves 4

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
  • 5 waxy potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 bunch kale (12 ounces), stemmed and shredded
  • 12 ounces smoked chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch half moons

Directions

  1. In a large pot (6 to 8 quarts), heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. In a blender, puree half the soup. Return to pot; add kale and sausage. Simmer until kale is wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.


P.S. The only thing I modified was to hand blend the ingredients in the pot, as opposed to taking out half of the soup and pureeing it in a blender. I also ended up adding a little bit of water (about 1 cup), since I didn't feel like the consistency was soupy enough, at least for my standards.:)

Have you tried any Martha Stewart soup recipes?

Seriously Soupy Serena

5 comments:

  1. this looks really good. have you tried the lentil sausage kale soup from rachael ray? that's one of my favorites! It gets better the next day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi megan,

    Yea, this one was really good (and spicy) and it was great to use what I had at home. I'll have to look that Rachel Ray one up. I love lentils!!! Thanks for the suggestion.:)

    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kale in soup - and with the spicy sausage, this would surely be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely fantastic...I love soup and will be visiting your site often!

    ReplyDelete