. Split Pea Soup Recipe Seriously Soupy

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Split Pea Soup Recipe


I took a much needed soupy break with Thanksgiving, but I am back in action with a split pea soupy. And this is not just any split pea soup, this variety features yellow and green peas whose puke green color sometimes scares people away. However, once you get past that you will be pleasantly surprised with a delicious and hearty bean soupy. Also, I noticed that a lot of split pea soups feature ham and celery. I opted to try the celery, but stayed away from the ham simply because I don't have the best meat offerings in my area, but this can be easily added to your own personal blend.


Split Pea Soup
Ingredients:

1 cup of yellow peas

1 cup of green peas

1 cup of water

1/2 cup of chicken broth

1 celery stalk, cut up

1/2 bag of carrots, cup up

1 chicken bouillon cube

1/2 of a red onion, cut up

1/2 clove of garlic, chopped up

2-4 bay leaves

1 teaspoon of garlic salt, approx
imately
1 teaspoon of cumin, approximately

pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste

    Serves: 6

    Directions:

    Pour the water and broth into a large pot and set to a medium boil. Add onions, garlic, bouillon when water starts boiling. Then add the 2 types of peas when the mixture has a steady boil and cover. Peas, like any beans generally takes 1 hour or more to cook. While they are cooking make sure to monitor the pot where additional water may need to be added. Add the carrots, celery, bay leaves and cumin. I generally add salt and pepper last to taste.


    Approximate cooking time: 1 hour.


    Seriously Soupy Serena


    P.S. After the soupy was finished I ended up with a very thick soupy. I added more water (about one cup), which thinned out the soup, but lost some of its flavors. So, I then added some garlic salt and pepper to retain more flavor.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment