. Tomato Cream Soup Seriously Soupy

Friday, November 20, 2009

Tomato Cream Soup




I was stumped at what soup I wanted to test out this week. I couldn't do anything that was to involved (although I would like to down the line), so I opted to try a basic tomato soup. I never made a tomato soup before but it sounded simple enough, so I got together some fresh and canned tomatoes, rosemary, lime juice, chives, heavy cream for a rich and hearty blend. I was told that I should have added more cream, but I thought it was fine as is, however these are personal choices and adding more or less cream is your choice, especially when creating your own soupy. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of organic diced tomatoes
  • 2 large tomato, cut up
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth (still need to get on that make my own broth thing)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/2 of a red onion, cut up
  • 1 clove of garlic chopped up
  • 1 tablespoon of lime
  • 1 stalk of chives, cut up into small segments
  • 1 teaspoon of rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon of basil
  • 1/4 cup of whipping cream (heavy cream will also suffice)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:

Start boiling the water with onions, basil, rosemary, garlic, lime juice, and chives. Once you have a boil add the tomatoes, canned and fresh to the pot. Add your bouillon cube and some broth and cover for 30 minutes. Add the whipping cream to the mix and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover for an additional 10-15 minutes and let cool. The recipe will make a chunky soup, but you can thin it out by blending the soup with a hand blender when it cools down.

Approximate cooking time: 1 hour.

Seriously Soupy Serena

P.S. The picture shows that the soup is topped with asparagus. I had extra, so I decided to roast it in the over for 10 minutes with some extra tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. A quick and easy side that paired really well with this soupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment