. Homemade Meat Stock Recipe Seriously Soupy

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade Meat Stock Recipe

Straining the stock

Storing the stock
Leftover meaty goodness for another soup
Last year I made a Chicken Stock and a Vegetable Stock and I loved how easy it was - not to mention how they naturally seasoned my recipes. I really want to try to make a Fish Stock, a Duck Stock, a Pork Stock, a BBQ Beef Stock, and a Roasted Vegetable Stock (among many others). Another stock I wanted to test out was a Homemade Meat Stock. 

Before I actually made the stock, I researched several recipes such as Cantaloupe Alone's Baked Bone Stock, a stock recipe from Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried, and a meat broth recipe from the book The Classic Italian Cookbook. All very different, Cantaloupe Alone's and Straight Into Bed's focuses on oven baking the meat bones to extract the flavors while the recipe from The Classic Cookbook involves a boiling method. Having a basic idea of what ingredients I wanted to use, I decided to boil my stock (mainly because my oven is not reliable and is also very old). For my stock, I used fresh beef parts, along with some fresh parsley, thyme, leeks, bay leaves, celery, carrots, onions and a potato. The whole process took about three hours to cook and some salt was added during the end to taste the stock. A simple recipe, I loved how flavorful this homemade stock was and how many new soups are going to come out of this easy and rich stock.

Homemade Meat Stock Recipe
Ingredients:
1 pound of beef (with bones)
12 cups of water, approximately
1 yellow onion, cut up
1 leek, cut up - use white part only
1 parsnip, cut up
1 white potato, cut up (with the skin)
1 large carrot, cut up
2 celery ribs, cut up
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of thyme
1 sprig of parsley, cut up
salt, to taste

Directions:
Add water to a large soup pot and let boil. Cut up the onion, carrot, potato, leek, parsnip, and celery and add them to the pot, along with the bay leaves, thyme, and parsley. Wash the meat and add them to the pot. Lower flame, cover, and let cook for approximately 3 hours - checking on it periodically. During the last hour, add some salt and taste. Turn off the flame and strain the meat and vegetables. Let cool and freeze or use your stock and meat for another soup! Enjoy.

Tip: When freezing, keep the fat in the stock in order to seal the flavors. This layer will be easy to remove when you defrost your stock.


How do you make your meat stock?
Seriously Soupy Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment