. Friday Soup Links Seriously Soupy

Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Soup Links


Barbara Kafka's Moroccan Tomato Soup by The Wednesday Chef

Chilled and veggie soups are all the rage for the summer, and and it's easy to see why: they're light, easy to prep and taste pretty darn good. Here are some veggie soups that caught my eye this week.

1. Barbara Kafka's Moroccan Tomato Soup-  While reading The Wednesday Chef's tale of soup-making I couldn't help but smile. I, too have had a hard time creating soup with the heat (hence the lack of posts), but when there is some relief I quickly figure out what the next soup will be, gather up my ingredients and start cooking. Luckily for us, the WC had a break from the heat and was able to hop on her bike, locate some yummy tomatoes and get cooking. Her hearty (and I mean hearty) tomato soup is packed with spices (cayenne pepper and cumin), cilantro, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and of course tomatoes.

2. Puree of Turnip Soup - I have yet to use turnips in a soup, but I'm thinking that is about to change, especially after reading about Julie Morris' Puree of Turnip Soup. Another simple one -- Morris added broth, potatoes, onions and turnips -- with an interesting addition (almond milk) that may also make an appearance in future soupy's.

3. Asparagus Soup- The beauty of this interesting-looking vegetable is that it is not only tasty (in my personal opinion), but it is also very versatile in soup. Food Junta's white asparagus soup -- inspired by recipe from Emeril Lagasse uses shallots, leeks, heavy cream and stock that is good to go in an hour.

What new vegetable soups have you made this week?
Seriously Soupy Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment